Pokemon Adventure
March 28, 2024, 05:29:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Site!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Addled Staff List Login Register  

The Scratch

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Scratch  (Read 1711 times)
Nicola
Administrator
Worthy

Awesomeness 1

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« on: August 06, 2012, 02:23:34 am »

All right, you guys, so I pretty much spammed the Cbox with excitement when I caught wind of the talk of rebooting the Pokemon roleplay, so I decided it would be less spammy of me more helpful to make a forum topic to discuss this. Reading the Cbox, it seems this idea has everyone's support~ (Except Dan, who never has opinions, and Twills, who never roleplays Pokemon, so they don't count.)

So let's talk Pokemon. I'll repost what I said on the Cbox:

Anyways, my vote is YES, let's reboot the Pokemon roleplay! :D
We should probably make changes to the rules to properly accommodate a small amount of roleplayers and hopefully get some interaction between all of our characters.
Maybe less number-based stuff? Maybe some more Plot Events? Since we have such a concentrated group of roleplayers, we can twist the Pokemon world HOWEVER WE WANT.
Which means we can certainly make it interesting enough to keep up a core roleplay.

While we could all go our separate ways and enjoy our little Pokemon journeys, I think Jack noted that it would be more fun to travel in a group rather than everyone striking out on their own. I think it would be awesome if we all somehow ended up being in one big group so we could do lots of fantastic things together~

And it doesn't even have to be traveling on a generic Pokemon journey anymore. We've been there, done that, time and time again, and we've lost interest in it, time after time. This time is different, because since our group is so tight, we have the control, we get to pull all the strings. We can drag in the Legendaries, we can find shinies, we can have the Pokemon apocalypse, we can make our own NPCs, our own villains, our own towns, our own Pokemon, our own challenges, our own unique logic-defying plots, our own silly shenanigans. We can turn the whole Pokemon world upside-down for the sake of roleplay and have it turn out to be spectacular. We don't have to follow any rules, there are no restrictions, anything and everything is game. I say all this because I really want to emphasize the freedom we have in this roleplay; we can do ANYTHING with this, so I want us all to put our heads together and make it good.

It might be easier to brainstorm creative twists after we get to see everyone's characters. That said, I'd like to see some filled-out character sheets. I know Quinn and I have our characters ready to go, but I'd like to hear about everyone else, too. I think it'd be good if we essentially followed the same profile format from Kenta's domain-fail site (because I'm pretty sure that's the one Quinn, Josh and I already have filled out for the characters we're using), so y'know, just kinda go for it. I posted it in a separate topic, so you can find the form there.

Before everyone fills it out, though, I think a few changes should be made:
  • First of all, we should all be traveling in the same region, I hope, so that category is kind of unnecessary (though we should decide collectively which region to base ourselves in).
  • I also don't really know about trainer class, because our site and Kyuu's had a few different ones? Well, just feel free to pick whatever, just use your best judgement. I think the only difference was Nurse, anyway, and I'd say that's still a legitimate trainer class, so that's all good. If you wanna be something else not on the site, go for it, nothing's stopping you.
  • Finally, I don't think a roleplay sample is necessary, because I'm pretty sure we're all familiar with the way everyone here roleplays (if not, feel free to browse the Light RP section).
If that's all fine with everyone, I think it would be okay to remove at least region and roleplay sample from the profile template.

In the spirit of starting fresh, I made a new board for profiles, so go ahead and post your characters there. Also, I've got an empty board prepared for saving all of the stuff from the old roleplay so it's out of the way but we can still access it. Before I do any serious moving around and whatnot, though, I'd like some input from you guys. ('Cause I want to make sure I've got input from everyone and I'm not getting too ahead of myself here.)

After getting some of this preliminary stuff taken care of, we can discuss what boards we're going to need to make this work, and more of the technical / organizational stuff like that.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 09:41:17 pm by Nicola » Report Spam   Logged

Shinx

Nickname: Bolt
Ability: Intimidate, Holding: Nothing
Happiness: 250, Level: 14; Experience: 5/14
Tackle   Leer
Charge Bite

Lucario

Nickname: Crystal
Ability: Steadfast, Holding: Silk Scarf
Happiness: 250, Level: 13, Experience: 8.5/13
Quick Attack   Force Palm
Endure   Counter

Corsola

Nickname: Aqua
Ability: Hustle, Natural Cure, Holding: Oran Berry
Happiness: 190, Level: 8, Experience: 3.5/8
Tackle   Harden
Bubble

Growlithe

Nickname: Donut
Ability: Intimidate & Flash Fire, Holding: Nothing
Happiness: 80, Level: 10, Experience: 0/10
Bite   Roar
Ember   Leer
<--My Bio

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jack
HOLY AWESOMENESS!

Awesomeness 4

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 04:09:27 am »

I think filing roleplay threads by location would be best, so we could keep the location boards.

I'll do something in the way of a character profile. I guess it might end up being a self insert but whatever.

We might be able to ditch classes altogether, and be just Trainers, with interests in other professions. Like how Brock is a Trainer, but he's also interested in being a breeder and so on.

I think it'd be good, also, to generally keep to the whole pokemon world, without introducing new pokemon. We already have 700~ to choose from. But an overarching plot would be good, with escapades and misadventures in the meantime. Legendaries can come further down the road, once we've progressed a fair bit.
Report Spam   Logged

Quinn
"That One Chick"

Awesomeness 2

So, this one chick walks into a bar...

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:04:50 am »

Prepare for MASS QUESTIONS.

In light of the whole we-can-do-whatever-we-want thing, how should the RP play out? And by this I mean the whole mood. We could keep it fairly canon (slightly silly, light-hearted), we could make it dark and edgy, or we could even make it so random/confusing/hilarious that it reads like a crack fic. (Nicola & Josh- remember Stella? :D)

I'm in favor of any of these options. The whole project sounds like a lot of fun~ <3

Also, Nicky: in the template, you kept the RP sample section. Didn't you say you wouldn't?

Also, also, story! What should we be doing? Are we making our own region? Where should the characters start out? Is there a plot? Should it be realistic, or can we be some kind of "chosen ones" because why not? Are we battling evil? Are some of the players evil? Ooh, or the gym leaders. Can they be secretly evil? What about starters? Can they be just anything? Or do they have to be actual starters? Just how much will we be twisting the canon? Can there be shenanigans? Can there be magic and genderbend guns? Can there be crossovers? Can there be Batman? OH LORDY WE COULD HAVE ZUBATMAN OR SOMETHING. THE HERO GOLDENROD DESERVES, BUT NOT THE ONE IT NEEDS RIGHT NOW.

IT WOULD BE BEAUTIFUL.

...Oh dear, I may have gone a little overboard, there.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:08:56 am by Quinn » Report Spam   Logged

Jack
HOLY AWESOMENESS!

Awesomeness 4

View Profile
Third year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 11:48:54 am »

Okay, so, I'm in favour of having Zubatman as a recurring character.

Starters could be anything, I guess. As long as you could justify it.

I'd rather the canon-style RP, to be honest.

We could start in Kanto, and move off through the regions, like in a world where Ash/Red didn't exist, and it's us instead.

To be honest, I'd rather not have magic guns to randomly do stuff xD
Crossovers, would be okay, as long as they actually make a bit of sense, no "SUDDENLY KARKAT FOR NO REASON".
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 11:52:20 am by Jack » Report Spam   Logged

Nicola
Administrator
Worthy

Awesomeness 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 12:19:15 pm »

In light of the whole we-can-do-whatever-we-want thing, how should the RP play out? And by this I mean the whole mood. We could keep it fairly canon (slightly silly, light-hearted), we could make it dark and edgy, or we could even make it so random/confusing/hilarious that it reads like a crack fic. (Nicola & Josh- remember Stella? :D)
I agree with Jack that we should keep it fairly canon. Slightly silly and light-hearted sounds like a good mood to me, and while we could still get all serious when major plot points appear, I'd imagine it wouldn't ever really breach the limits of "dark and edgy" or "crack fic".

Also, Nicky: in the template, you kept the RP sample section. Didn't you say you wouldn't?
I wanted to leave everything unchanged until I got some feedback, and then remove what I mentioned if people agreed. Sounds like you guys agree, though, so I'll go remove it in a bit~

Also, also, story! What should we be doing?
That's something I think we should come up with as a group. I think we need a reason to throw our characters together in the first place, and then something to keep them together. Maybe they could form their own guild or something?

Are we making our own region?
We could if people wanted to, but I'm gonna have to vote no on this one. We've already got the regions Pokemon gave us, I say we just use Kanto.

Where should the characters start out?
Somewhere in Kanto is my vote, though we could start anywhere, I suppose.

Is there a plot?
Not yet. We'll want to make one before starting, though.

Should it be realistic, or can we be some kind of "chosen ones" because why not?
Hm, I personally would prefer it be realistic, but again, it can go however.

Are we battling evil?
Sure, why not?

Are some of the players evil?
If they want to be, sure!

Ooh, or the gym leaders. Can they be secretly evil?
Ahh, conspiracy! I like it~ I'll keep that in mind as a potential plot idea.

What about starters? Can they be just anything? Or do they have to be actual starters?
They can be anything, though it would be nice to keep it within reason, like no legendaries and whatnot. You don't have to pick an actual starter, though. (But if you in particular are changing your starter, please tell me first so I can change mine, too~)

Just how much will we be twisting the canon?
As much as we want. It's hard to make an outright prediction right now, because it'll really just depend upon the plot we choose.

Can there be shenanigans?
Why, certainly.

Can there be magic and genderbend guns?
Ummmm... I'd prefer not... I mean, we've already got Pokemon, how much more magic do you need?

Can there be crossovers? Can there be Batman? OH LORDY WE COULD HAVE ZUBATMAN OR SOMETHING. THE HERO GOLDENROD DESERVES, BUT NOT THE ONE IT NEEDS RIGHT NOW.
Basically what Jack said, they're good as long as they make sense. Like Zubatman, he would fit into the Pokemon world just fine. I am also in favor of having Zubatman as a recurring character. (Though the Pokemon world does already have Gligarman - http://www.pocketmonsters.net/images/characters/1529.png)
Report Spam   Logged

Shinx

Tackle   Leer
Charge Bite

Lucario

Endure   Counter

Corsola

Tackle   Harden
Bubble

Growlithe

Bite   Roar
Ember   Leer
<--My Bio
Quinn
"That One Chick"

Awesomeness 2

So, this one chick walks into a bar...

View Profile
Second year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 12:25:06 pm »

Wow. That was just a brain dump and I wasn't expecting you to answer all of it. XD But thanks!

Oh, and the URL you gave for Gligarman doesn't work.

Report Spam   Logged

Nicola
Administrator
Worthy

Awesomeness 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 12:28:24 pm »

No problem. And pfffft, whoops. XD

Try this page then: http://www.pocketmonsters.net/characters/Gligarman
Report Spam   Logged

Shinx

Tackle   Leer
Charge Bite

Lucario

Endure   Counter

Corsola

Tackle   Harden
Bubble

Growlithe

Bite   Roar
Ember   Leer
<--My Bio
Jake
Global Moderator
Lord of Spam

Awesomeness 0

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 12:58:01 pm »

Can there be Batman? OH LORDY WE COULD HAVE ZUBATMAN OR SOMETHING. THE HERO GOLDENROD DESERVES, BUT NOT THE ONE IT NEEDS RIGHT NOW.

So much approval.

Like I said in the cbox, I'm all for rebooting.
But are we keeping all classes like Trainers, Breeders, etc.? Do we need to redo rules or delete a bunch of stuff? >.<
Report Spam   Logged

(<---Bio)
Nicola
Administrator
Worthy

Awesomeness 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 01:02:40 pm »

I was thinking yeah, we're going to be redoing some rules here. Don't be editing any of the ones we've got, though, because I'm going to be adding new boards for those once we get this stuff settled. No deleting will be involved, I've set up a board where we can move all the old RP stuff so we can go back and reference our old stuff if we want. I just wanted some input before moving everything. :)

EDIT: As for Trainer classes, I think we're picking any of the trainer classes you can run into in the games, so we've got a huge variety. We don't need to plan out benefits and such for each and every one, just the ones people are playing.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:05:26 pm by Nicola » Report Spam   Logged

Shinx

Tackle   Leer
Charge Bite

Lucario

Endure   Counter

Corsola

Tackle   Harden
Bubble

Growlithe

Bite   Roar
Ember   Leer
<--My Bio
Jessica
Dark Fyre Twill
Lovey-Dovey-Sharky Girl~

Awesomeness 2

Nepeta: Do the series of cute things!

View Profile
Fourth year Anniversary Third year Anniversary Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 10:04:51 pm »

Ooh ooh ooh I sense shenanigans and what not that I might be able to play around with and junk and do stuff and YAY! (I'm home bee-tee-dubs~ ^w^) As for actual input/question: Should there be like someone who's kind of... the environment? The ref? Someone who is a neutral party with their own motives to have shenanigans and what not?

...Can that person be me?
Report Spam   Logged
Nicola
Administrator
Worthy

Awesomeness 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 10:34:36 pm »

Ooh ooh ooh I sense shenanigans and what not that I might be able to play around with and junk and do stuff and YAY! (I'm home bee-tee-dubs~ ^w^) As for actual input/question: Should there be like someone who's kind of... the environment? The ref? Someone who is a neutral party with their own motives to have shenanigans and what not?

...Can that person be me?

Hmm... Well, we haven't really decided what format the roleplay's really going to be in. I guess it would be pretty awesome to have one person who's just reffing all the time, but whether or not it can be you will... depend, I think. Like on whether or not we decide to use ref-style roleplay, whether or not the roleplay actually gets off the ground, and what types of shenanigans it is that you have up your sleeve. I'm not against you being forever-ref, I'm just... cautious about it. x'D

Input from everyone else? Should we use a system that requires a ref? Also, is anyone opposed to Twilli having a position of power over the plot? Discuss.
Report Spam   Logged

Shinx

Tackle   Leer
Charge Bite

Lucario

Endure   Counter

Corsola

Tackle   Harden
Bubble

Growlithe

Bite   Roar
Ember   Leer
<--My Bio
Jessica
Dark Fyre Twill
Lovey-Dovey-Sharky Girl~

Awesomeness 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 03:22:55 am »

Twilli

CAN YOU PLEASE STOP CALLING ME THAT???
Report Spam   Logged
Jo
Administrator
Lord of Spam

Awesomeness 2

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Spammer 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 04:28:24 am »

Mhm, Nicola, it might be a bit more sensitive if you could start naming Jess by her actual name; but similarly, Jess, consider that Nicola has known you by the persona Twilli for years and has just made a mistake. We could get into a relatively unpleasant discussion about identity and personas here, but please, let's just let this slide, people~

Either way, I reckon the reffing style works. I mean, I see we're going for more roleplay, less emphasis on the heavy number crunching here, which is nice, but I'd like to keep some elements of the previous roleplay! I mean, reffing is nice because you can talk about other players and roleplay them in a way that isn't meta, which is always a fun deal. I think everybody can effectively be the ref, and Jess sweetie, you can do whatever you damn well please. You can be your own separate character that goes aways from everybody else but still reffs, if you'd like.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 11:39:55 am by Jo » Report Spam   Logged

Biography

Umbreon
Nickname: Tails
Ability: ~Synchronize~, Holding: Oran Berry
Happiness: 250, Level: 14; Experience: 12.5/14
Tackle
Tail Whip
Shadow Ball
Sand Attack

Nidoran♂
Nickname: Toxin
Ability: ~Poison Point~, ~Rivalry~ Holding: Rawst Berry
Happiness: 210, Level: 15, Experience: 8/15
Double Kick
Peck
Focus Energy
Poison Sting

Skorupi
 Nickname: N/A
 Ability: ~Battle Armour~, ~Sniper~, Holding: N/A
 Happiness: 80, Level: 5, Experience: 0/5
Bite
Poison Sting
---
---
Jessica
Dark Fyre Twill
Lovey-Dovey-Sharky Girl~

Awesomeness 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 06:23:32 am »

Josh, I get that 10:00 in the morning is an early hour for you, but you need to read more carefully. What I mean is above 'reffing,' it's instigating entire events in the roleplay that can cause character development, plot twists, shenagians or just plain comical stuff to empathize the story to make it more fun, more thick, more realistic, and give me something to do. I don't like roleplaying very much (btw you had six weeks to make a reply to the pm RP, I don't have anything in my inbox??), I like being on the side, thinking, helping and hurting as necessary (read: whatever would please me at the time), so I feel included! Is that too much to ask?
Report Spam   Logged
Jo
Administrator
Lord of Spam

Awesomeness 2

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary Spammer 50 Posts in one day
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 11:39:22 am »

Jess sweetie, you can do whatever you damn well please.

That is what we're all doing anyway.
Report Spam   Logged

Biography

Umbreon
Nickname: Tails
Ability: ~Synchronize~, Holding: Oran Berry
Happiness: 250, Level: 14; Experience: 12.5/14
Tackle
Tail Whip
Shadow Ball
Sand Attack

Nidoran♂
Nickname: Toxin
Ability: ~Poison Point~, ~Rivalry~ Holding: Rawst Berry
Happiness: 210, Level: 15, Experience: 8/15
Double Kick
Peck
Focus Energy
Poison Sting

Skorupi
 Nickname: N/A
 Ability: ~Battle Armour~, ~Sniper~, Holding: N/A
 Happiness: 80, Level: 5, Experience: 0/5
Bite
Poison Sting
---
---
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cgal

Hi, Nicola here - the forum seems to not like the Cgal embed anymore, but if you still want to leave a once-every-few-years "hello", the chat box itself still exists and you can access it here: [link]