Pokemon Adventure
April 19, 2024, 04:47:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the Site!!

Home   Forum   Help Search Arcade Gallery Addled Staff List Login Register  

Moveset Help

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moveset Help  (Read 70 times)
Aura

Badges: (View All)
« on: October 30, 2010, 09:12:05 pm »

You see, I have a 'rival' whose name is Nicola (not our Nicola, a different one). Between the two of us, we have decided to have a bit of a compertiton between ourselves. Pretty much, all it is, is just a battle between our Johto Teams. Now, if I know this Nicola well, her Pokemon are going to be a bit higher in level than mine. And its only very recently that I've started thinking about using a bit more stratagy with my Pokemon. Which brings us back to the point of this topic. I want to get some movesets for my team, which will be able to take down hers, regardless of how much higher her levels are.

What I do know about how this Nicola battles is that she only sweeps, and probably doesn't look at their stats to see what kinds of movesets would work better. She has a tendancy to bulk up one Pokemon, and leave the others on low levels. I also know that the only non attacking move she has is Sunny Day. This is the Pokemon I'm pretty certain she will be using:

Typhlosion
Ho-oh
Charizard
Ampharos
Gyarados
Dragonite

Like me, you've probably already seen her weakness right? Water and Electric type moves. Unfortunetly, after looking at my own team, I realised that, quite accidently, I'd given myself a bigger weakness: Three of my Pokemon have a secondary Flying type, and one is pure water type. So that makes the main threat to my team that Ampharos of hers. So anyway, here's my team at the present moment. Underneath their movesets and stats, I'll write what I had it mind to do with them.

Feraligatr
Docile
Torrent
HP 223, ATK 194, DEF 163, SPA 142, SPD 137, SPE 149
- Earthquake
- Cut
- Surf
- Ice Fang

This guy's my bait for Ampharos. A water type Pokemon, the main weakness of her team. A complete bait for her to send in her Ampharos. But, as you can see, this guy knows Earthquake. Being an Physical move, and with Feraligatr's attack, I'm pretty sure that it can wipe the floor with that Ampharos's blood. I was thinking about giving it a Wacan Berry, in case that for some strange reason, Ampharos is faster than me. And just in case it survives, Recycle might be a good move to give it too. But other than that, I'm not sure what other moves it should have. Maybe Waterfall and Aglity or something like that.

Lugia
Bold
Pressure
HP 239, ATK 152, DEF 217, SPA 160, SPD 243, SPE 174
- Roost
- Dragon Pulse
- Aeroblast
- Extrasensory

Definetly should be a support Pokemon, with a brilliant nature and defences. Not sure exactly what to do, but I want something incredibly frustrating. I do want to keep Roost and preferably Aeroblast too, but the last one doesn't make me fuss as much.

Charizard
Gentle
Blaze
HP 215, ATK 158, DEF 138, SPA 185, SPD 149, SPE 186
- Wing Attack
- Flamethrower
- Dragon Rage
- Flare Blitz

Special Sweeper most likely. Needs better moves.

Ampharos
Lax
Static
HP 232, ATK 127, DEF 152, SPA 195, SPD 135, SPE 108
- Signal Beam
- Power Gem
- Thunder
- Strength

My own Ampharos. Got a nice diverse group of moves and brilliant Special Attack and HP, but not too much good elsewhere. Not sure with this guy.

Togekiss
Adamant
Serene Grace
HP 229, ATK 133, DEF 171, SPA 188, SPD 181, SPE 140
- Wish
- Yawn
- Aura Sphere
- Fly

Absolutely brilliant Pokemon Togekiss is. I love it. good HP, Defenses and Special Attack. It's got Wish too, so I can heal the rest of my team. I like having Aura Sphere there *mynamecough* because it never misses and has a good amount of power behind it too. Yawn and Fly have to go. Why yawn? Scroll down.

Umbreon
Rash
Synchronize
HP 232, ATK 105, DEF 179, SPA 115, SPD 166, SPE 134
- Last Resort
- Shadow Ball
- Headbutt
- Dark Pulse

This is where a lot of my thinking has gone too. It really struggles the way I'm using it now, so I started thinking that it could become a headache if I changed its moveset to this:

- Toxic
- Roar
- Moonlight
- Dark Pulse

Toxic to poision, Roar to let me poison the whole team, Moonlight to keep me alive, and Dark Pulse for when a bit of Ninjaing is needed. Could change Roar to something else, like Protect or Attract... Muhahaaa!

If need be I could choose to replace one or two of my Pokemon with some of these:
- Snorlax
- Dragonite
- Larvitar (haven't been training it yet, but if I were to give EV training a try on this guy... apparently you can get over 200 ATK by level 50 ^^)
- Zapdos

Anyway, any advice you could give me about how to defeat my real life Rival would be brilliant. Any ideas of what to do on the ones I don't have a clue about would be awesome, and any other ideas on the ones I have thought out would be most welcome too. Thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Nicola
Administrator
Worthy

Awesomeness 1

View Profile
Mobile User Tenth year Anniversary Nineth year Anniversary
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 09:53:38 pm »

This whole battle is on HeartGold/SoulSilver, right?

If so, then I recommend switching your Umbreon's Toxic with Toxic Spikes, if this can in fact be done (I'm not sure which Pokemon can learn that move), because then Nicola's Pokemon would get poisoned upon switching in rather than you having to take an extra move on poisoning them. This would likely save a lot of effort, plus if you put down two layers of the spikes, the poisoned turns into badly poisoned, which could definitely come to your advantage.

Another small tip; when I faced Whitney, I was really frustrated by her Miltank because it knew Attract, Stomp, and Milk Drink. Attract caused infatuation and made it far more difficult for my Pokemon to hit, Stomp made my Pokemon flinch near every time it was used, and Milk Drink restored Miltank's hitpoints every time I got near to finishing it off. So maybe some combination of a disabling move, a flinching move, and a healing move would frustrate and irritate your rival?
Report Spam   Logged

Shinx

Nickname: Bolt
Ability: Intimidate, Holding: Nothing
Happiness: 250, Level: 14; Experience: 5/14
Tackle   Leer
Charge Bite

Lucario

Nickname: Crystal
Ability: Steadfast, Holding: Silk Scarf
Happiness: 250, Level: 13, Experience: 8.5/13
Quick Attack   Force Palm
Endure   Counter

Corsola

Nickname: Aqua
Ability: Hustle, Natural Cure, Holding: Oran Berry
Happiness: 190, Level: 8, Experience: 3.5/8
Tackle   Harden
Bubble

Growlithe

Nickname: Donut
Ability: Intimidate & Flash Fire, Holding: Nothing
Happiness: 80, Level: 10, Experience: 0/10
Bite   Roar
Ember   Leer
<--My Bio
Aura

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 10:11:04 pm »

Umbreon can't learn Toxic Spikes. If it could, it would save me a lot of hassle. I think < is why a lot of people in Compeditive battling have Rapid Spin.

Yeah, having attract and a healing move would be brilliant. And maybe Paralyis or flinching or confusion could work well there.... Definetly something to think about.

And yes, in HG/SS.
Report Spam   Logged
Cinder
The Mario Painter [Actually I'm doing Famitracker now]

Awesomeness 1

Skype? Find me at VolcanBrimstone. :3

View Profile WWW
Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 02:47:29 pm »

Actually believe it or not, Feraligatr is not the best mover when going fast. But lucky for you, Ampharos' Speed is no match for him. Feraligatr should be able to wipe the floor with it, but to be sure, I would actually give it Muscle Band if you have it. Also, if possible, I would drop Surf for Aqua Tail.

Lugia is a great WALL when utilized correctly, but I [maybe this is because of how I work] would actually drop it out of the team due to its UBER status. But then of course, you do need a great upper hand and Lugia can give you that. I would have my moveset as this:

Reflect
Earth Power
Roost
Thunder Bolt

I chose this moveset as a literal back-up for against that Pesky Ampharos. You can get the Earth Power through a Move-Tutor near the Battle Frontier, but it will take a lot of BP to teach it that. Thunderbolt for against the mass of Flying that your Rival would have...

Charizard is Simple. It can be either a Physical or Special Sweeper. I believe it would be better as a Sp. Sweeper tho. A good moveset for that would be:

Dragon Pulse
Heat Wave
Roost
Air Slash

Air Slash you have to Heart Scale on in Blackthorn City. Roost is a TM, but I don't know if that's available to you. Dragon Pulse is also a TM, but you can obtain multiples of that somewhere. Heat Wave he learns by himself at level 59. Another good option is to just keep the Flamethrower as it is slightly more accurate.

I would drop that Ampharos for that Snorlax of yours. HP is brilliant and he is also a good Physical user... Plus he may have the Ability THICK FAT which would lower down your opponents Fire Type moves power.
a good moveset for him would be:

Rest
Sleep Talk
Thunder Punch / Rock Slide
Earthquake / Ice Punch

Now here's where this gets interesting. Rest and Sleep Talk speak for themselves. Rock Slide is a TM but Thunderpunch can be Tutored on. Ice Punch can be also. As for Earthquake, its either a TM or breeding. Wanna know how by breeding? It simple. If your Feraligatr is Male and your Snorlax is Female, then the Earthquake shall pass to your new Snorlax. Also, if your Snorlax is holding the Lax Incense, then you shall get Munchlax instead. Either way, your Feraligatr will pass on the move Earthquake.

Togekiss? Awesome. All I can say is moveset:

Aura Sphere
Air Slash
Wish
Ancientpower

Normally, Ancientpower could be learned by previous evolutions, but luckily its a TM also. I say Ancientpower because of what your facing, but also because its too late for you to pick up Magical Leaf. As for Air Slash, Heart Scale.

Now if I had my way with Umbreon, your going the right direction. My Espeon is somewhat similar. Now we got to think about this. Toxic, Dark Pulse, and Moonlight are the must haves for this Pokemon. As for that 4th move, I would choose Light Screen as I mentioned Lugia to have Reflect. So the moveset I would have is:

Light Screen
Toxic
Dark Pulse
Moonlight

Now this is so similar to my [shiny] Espeon its not even funny. My Espeon's moveset is:

Reflect
Toxic
Psychic
Morning Sun

lol, anywho. I hope this helps you.
Report Spam   Logged
Aura

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 02:02:15 am »

Volcan, this is exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you!

I think I'll give it Waterfall, because it's a lot more easily accessible for me. As for the Muscle Band... I don't think I have one of them. I'll see if I can get it.

Yeah, we've kind of silently agreed to allow ourselves UBERS, because she's got Ho-oh and everything. If I was doing any other competitive battling, I'd drop it too. Most people don't allow it... Earth Power might be out, because I really don't like the Battle Frontier. I could give it a shot though...

I used my Dragon Pulse TM as you can see, to give me a bit of an edge against Lance the first time around. I should be able to get most of these though.

Strangely enough, my Snorlax is in fact a female, but I'm not sure if I have enough time to raise it from level one. I might just Pal Park Earthquake over from another one of my games. I'd probably go with Rock Slide, 'cause of her flying types.

Yeah, everyone should just bow down to the pure win of Togekiss. I was thinking of something like that, or maybe even having a Status healing move too, just incase some extra effects happen or something.

Shiny Espeon? So not fair... I mean, I have a Shiny Krabby and the one that every man and his Nidoran has but... It's funny how those things turn out; I guess great minds think alike!

Thanks again Volcan for the ideas, they're really great.
Report Spam   Logged
Cinder
The Mario Painter [Actually I'm doing Famitracker now]

Awesomeness 1

Skype? Find me at VolcanBrimstone. :3

View Profile WWW
Sixth year Anniversary Fifth year Anniversary Fourth year Anniversary
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 10:34:08 am »

Anything to help Aura.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Cgal

Hi, Nicola here - the forum seems to not like the Cgal embed anymore, but if you still want to leave a once-every-few-years "hello", the chat box itself still exists and you can access it here: [link]